After your arrival…
Within a month or two after your arrival in Canada, you will have an idea of Canadian life style and schooling system. In some cases, students want to change their initial program. you can change your current program to any other program very easily unless you change your university. Lets start with important things that every new student should do:
- Be comfortable with your University/college campus. Blackboard learning system, self service, your local area etc.
- Get your SIN (Social Insurance number) within first 2 weeks after your arrival, even if you don’t intend to work. Service Canada provides this service. A SIN number is a 9 digit number. For temporary resident, a SIN starts with 9. Example: 900 – 000 – 000
- Every province issue its own ID card for all types of resident. Get your provincial ID. You can use this ID as a proof of photo ID. A photo ID is useful in many cases, such as: Buying your mobile plan, Entry in a cineplex, opening a bank account or any other places where you need a photo ID . Normally, provincial service point provide this service. For example: Service Ontario in Ontario, Access Nova Scotia in Nova Scotia etc.
Most of the time, you can use your provincial ID instead of your passport.
- Open a bank account. Every bank has facility for students. Student banking is free (until 25 transactions/month). Some banks provide gift cards, scene card, even offers credit cards for students. I highly recommend, have at least one credit card. Among the top banks, there is RBC, TD, Scotia, CIBC, BMO all over Canada.
- Working part-time was the most enjoyable part of my student life. I recommend every student to work part-time (at least 10 hours a week). A part-time work might be paid or unpaid, doesn’t matter.
- Try to get your G1 driving license in your first year. I got mine after first semester break. Its easy and super simple.
Important for International students
- Don’t work more than 20 hours a week during mandatory school year ( 8 months, 2 semester a year). You can work as much as you want during your school break or optional semester such as: Summer School, fall break or winter break etc.
- Don’t work in cash. If you ever get caught working in cash, you will be deported. No excuse here.
- File your tax every year, even if you don’t earn money. You need to file tax return for your tuition fees, medical insurance etc. For any reason, if you miss a-year/two tax assessment/s, do it in the following year. You might get help from your school or you can do it yourself from CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) website.
You enjoy living in Canada because of its well maintained social systems and facilities. Your tax contributions will keep it continue.
- Changing school need to be informed to CIC first. See how to do it here.
- Apply for study permit extension at least 3 months before your primary study permit got expired. Apply online. Easier and faster.
- If you need to get a new Bangladeshi passport, apply in Bangladesh Consulate in Ottawa,Canada. It takes one month exactly, in a regular application.